Saturday, July 5, 2014



THE MIDLIFE CRISIS

Am I Titling this Blog correctly. Have I reached mid age and am I in a crisis ? The former might not hold correct since I am pushing late thirties but yes the latter is always a predominant factor in our lives ! Crisis...a lot of us are familiar with the word and come across the same on a frequent basis.

God created individuals and individuals have dreams. Is there a difference between reality and dreams. For some it is a combination of both, for some it is an unacheivable thought, for some who aspire and perspire to realize it ......and for some who are midway to it.

I came across a campaign slogan a few days back, " Dreams are not what you visualize in your sleep, but dreams are those which do not let you sleep. " How many of us have been excited over a new toy, new gift, new promotion, new girlfriend/wife, new vacation and have tossed and turned around in bed in anticipation for it to become the reality. Would you call them short term goals or small dreams ? And then there are the larger dreams which one visualizes sitting in an office cubicle, coffee shop, lunch canteen, waiting at the bus stop. For majority of the average Indians it would be a lavish sprawling bungalow, that swanky car parked in the driveway, the guard saluting at your every move. Those rich Armani suits, and the Jimmy Choo shoes.To some the larger dreams are what they exactly would like to do with their life, follow their passions, come in terms with their inner soul and set course on the untreaded path. Which category do you fall under ?

The guy with the mansion and the cars and the lifestyle might have moved out from the cubicle to a personal office space with that satisfied smile on his face, but the smile will surely disappear if you walk up to him and whisper in his ear, " Is this what you want to do the rest of your life ?". 8 out of 10 chances the guy will give you a different answer, " I actually wanted to become a Paragliding Instructor !"

So why am I boring you with these philosophical thoughts. Either I have a lot of free time in my life or I have taken the spirituality. The former holds true. I do have a lot of time since I am unemployed. I get that smirk and the look from all and sundry when they question, " So you don't have a job?" And then the rant goes on my compensation, my wife, my kids, my cars, etc, etc. Was it a situation I am into by choice. The answer would be yes. I decided to get off the employment roster for sometime, relocating myself to a new location and culture.

Now one would think why is this nut who is close to midlife get himself into such a crisis ? This is where the title gets relevance. The term " Crisis " can have different meaning and symbolism depending on one's perspective. For majority of my acquaintances " crisis " would mean the void in my life, no means of earning the big bucks, the mansion and the car all blown up in smoke. For me crisis lies in the situation to pursue my dreams or follow the regular course. My choice of unemployment was fueled by the passion to get started to realize what I actually wanted to do in my life.

On one hand I have the social pressure and stigma to take employment and keep my dreams in the backdrop, and get back at it at some point of life when my hair is grey and my joints are weak. I probably would be too old and weak to enjoy it. And on the other hand lies the road to my destination. A path filled with uncertainties and obstacles, sheer hardwork and determination, yet providing  pleasure and joy at every turn and every twist. The light would shine at the end of the tunnel but the tunnel in itself is dark and sinister. Am I ready to take this path or the other one. I am in a crisis standing at a crossroad of "living" and "just living". I will still make that fancy house, with those fabulous cars parked in the driveway, the difference would be I want to achieve it not the mundane way, but living the wonderful experience called life.

So what do I actually want to do in my life ? The picture at the top of the page denotes everything. Imagine getting paid for what you love to do the best. Living and breathing and weaving your life around your passions. Yes, I would definitely want to follow the unchartered territory with its share of challenges. There are 3 different categories of people : 1. People who have already achieved what they have dreamt. 2. People who sit and dream and think of achieving it but do not take steps towards it. 3. And the third category who have the courage to start working towards that dream.

Which category I would like myself to be associated with ? Definately the last. So hence I set foot, not to turn back since its cowards who show their backs to adverse circumstances !!!






No comments: